The action research for this website utilizes many Common Core Standards in areas of Mathematics, Speaking, Listening, and Technology. The students use mathematical standards in translating a math word problem to use quantitative reasoning. Through technology they are able to express their ideas on a platform that empowers them to reinforce their learning. Speaking and Listening is required throughout the treatment so that they may effectively communicate their ideas.
Standards for Speaking and Listening
1. Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
2. Determine the main ideas and supporting details of a text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
3. Ask and answer questions about information from a speaker, offering appropriate elaboration and detail.
4. Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking clearly at an understandable pace
5. Create engaging audio recordings of stories or poems that demonstrate fluid reading at an understandable pace; add visual displays when appropriate to emphasize or enhance certain facts or details.
6. Speak in complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification.