Rubrics and other measures for Assessing
In my first round of research I measured the effects of Istation using a pre-experimental study with a one-group pre test/post test design. Using a technology tool for reading comprehension that wasn’t yet used in class to find out how it would impact students test scores. First, students read one English book and one Spanish book at the same level and took an (AR) Accelerated Reader quiz after each book. These these results were used as the pre test measure. Then for the treatment, Istation was used in English for one week and in Spanish for another week during reading time, for a total 2 week treatment. For those two weeks students did not use their anthology text books nor did they take their regular comprehension tests from the anthology. I completely switched to the Istation readings and to their assessments for the two week treatment. Once the two weeks of using Istation was done students read a different English and Spanish book and took an Accelerated Reader quiz for each book. This data was collected and was used as the post test. I was then able to compare students AR comprehension test scores to the scores before the treatment.
The findings were that, strictly using the technology piece, Istation as a form of bilingual engagement to increase reading comprehension did not provide the desired results of increased reading comprehension scores. Results suggest that as an engagement tool for reading comprehension, it worked best for the English version of Istation. The Spanish version was less interactive and students quickly became bored with it.