To see the details of my design process, click on the image.
Sociocultural: At the school site approximately 50% of the students come from socioeconomically disadvantaged homes despite being in an affluent area. The school site is a dual immersion school that runs from K-5 with a middle school side separated. As long as in the dual immersion program, students only need to live within the city’s district limits and not just the school’s limits. Half of the 6th graders are students who have participated in the dual immersion program and the other half of students coming into 6th grade come from the surrounding neighborhoods. There is a good amount of parent involvement with the PTO constantly running fundraisers. On the complete opposite spectrum, some students have parents who have zero involvement. 85% of students have not had a parent go to college so will be first generation college students. Technical: The school site is in the middle of a transition to becoming 1:1 by the time we start the new school year. Many students have been using technology their whole life while there is still a large percentage of students who have not had access or have not had technology be such a big influence in their life. Some students live without any wifi access while other students have multiple connections through cellular devices. There is a disconnect between academic and personal use of technology. Students need constant engagement for instant satisfaction. Informational: Students need to learn the skills required to participate in academic conversations. This includes academic language development in core content, building functional language, inquiring/seeking information, summarizing and informing, comparing and contrasting, sequencing and ordering, analyzing, classifying, inferring, predicting and hypothesizing, etc.
The first design I created. After reading more about color design, I decided there was too much blue taking away from the logo.
My second design. Taking away the color, it looked much cleaner but after receiving feedback from my cohort, I realized the logo needed to be the focal point.