Common Core Meets the Quality Question Club
California ELA Standards
p88 Grade 7 “Conduct short research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question), drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions that allow for multiple avenues of exploration.”
As I read the ELA standards again, I cannot help but think that for most of the standards, the ability to ask quality questions is an integral part of meeting them. For example:
- Reading Standards for Informational Text 6–12
- 8. Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient to support the claims
- 9. Analyze how two or more authors writing about the same topic shape their presentations of key information by emphasizing different evidence or advancing different interpretations of facts.
- Writing Standards 6-12
- 7. Conduct short research projects to answer a question, drawing on several sources and generating additional related, focused questions for further research and investigation.
- 8. Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess the credibility and accuracy of each source